Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Being Able


     My classroom teacher “pushes in” or shares time with an English Language Learner (ELL) class during the day and where she goes, I learn.  The English Language Learners are a part of her regular classroom, but they spend some time every day in a classroom specifically designed for those learning English.  The ELL support was divided into four levels by ability instead of grade level.  For example, my classroom teacher’s ELL class consisted of third level learners in grades six, seven and eight.




     It was in this ELL classroom I was able to work with a boy named we will call Able.  Able was struggling to write a biography about the life of Eminem.  He was flipping through his book, brow wrinkled, staring at the empty page in front of him.  As I walked by, he refused to look up.  I squatted next to him in order to make eye contact.   I began our conversation by asking about his biography topic.  From there we patiently worked through his outline adding detail and discussing parts of Eminem’s life and why they were important.  We worked hard to communicate with one another at times.  There were moments in which I forgot I was talking to an ELL learner and probably should have approached our task differently.  Yet, once he opened up, Able was engaged and engaging.  It took both time and effort, but his outline had more detail and I could see he was proud of what he was able to accomplish. 

     I can speak to the use of media to engage diverse learners or about respecting and appreciating the diversity in or school.  Yet, echoing the usual headline is not the same as making headway as a new teacher. After reflecting on my day, the lesson shaping me as a teacher comes directly from Able’s parents.  When he was born, his parents held him in their arms and named him “Able.”  They named him not because of what he did, he was probably no more than minutes old.  Their focus was on what he will do because of what he is “able”.  His parents believed in him.  His classroom teacher believes in him.  With a little help, Able believed in himself.   Supporting diverse learners begins with understanding each student as "Able" and empowering students like Able to find and believe in what they are able to do.

It may be easier for the parents to see hope for their newborn because their child has no past.  My challenge is to begin teaching each day with that rocking chair moment; seeing my students as small, fragile and full of future.  



No comments :

Post a Comment